Monday, March 22, 2010

October Creations

October was busy for me with cake, here are my creations



Dora the Explorer is always fun! I wanted to recreate Dora's home as a birthday party, without using fondant only buttercream. I think it was a success!

My cousin Mike's 27th birthday. His wife called me and wanted something with a snowmobile since he is obsessed with it! I went on facebook and found a picture of him and his snowmobile and went to work. This was my first attempt at any sort of fondant figurine. I think he looks a little funny! :) I really love the cake though!




Dora AGAIN! This time a cake and mini cupcakes. This was a lot of work! I hand made all the little cupcake picks which took a while and I also made and decorated the stand. I made it about one day before pick-up which wasn't the best idea and had everything decorated about 20 minutes before pick-up. Nothing like last minute...the story of my life!

My sister, Whitney's 18th birthday. My family doesn't seem to be hugely into cake, so I thought this cute little toadstool cake would be perfect. It was small, but fed my large family wonderfully! I learned how small cakes are alot of work and are more of a pain than large ones!! She loved it! It was a new recipe I tried, lemon cake with lemon filling.

60th birthday cake for my other sister's father-in-law. Now I should just let you know I have a large family. 4 sisters and 3 brothers. This barn cake was a blast to make. My daughter, Alyvia helped make the little veggies and a chicken. She was really proud!


Andrew's 1st birthday!! I love making 1st birthday cakes, I feel they are really special and especially if the parent's are first time parents. They want everything to be perfect! This cake is not by any means my design. I don't remember where I saw it, but I fell in love with it! So different and each tier had a reason for being there. It took about 7 hours to decorate not including baking time or icing, just laying the fondant. That's more than some of the wedding cakes I did! The mom wanted matching cupcakes and by that time I was exhausted so my grass on the cupcakes didn't quite resemble grass, but it was all I could do at that point. The entire cake was done in red velvet as well as the cupcakes.
Here are some fun mini cupcakes the kids and I made for Halloween. Austin brought some to school, but ended up dropping the whole container before he got on the bus. He said they were still good, but just looked like a container of mess! Oh Well!



No comments:

Post a Comment