Monday, March 22, 2010

November Creations

WOW!! I'm on a roll today!! Maybe it's the cold weather keeping me from going outside and doing things. We were spoiled having really nice weather prior to the weekend. Now it's back to -10 celcius and I want the pluses back!! I guess I should be spring cleaning my house while it's colder outside. Blah...who wants to clean? Not me!! I do have one room down and lots to go, eventually it will be complete. Here are more creations mostly from November.

This was a wedding I did in August. It was in Cold Lake which is about 1 1/2 hours from here, so I wasn't able to take pics. I only have this particular one because the bride e-mailed it. She built the stand. The cupcakes have little chocolate heart garnishes on top.

This is from a wedding in October...I love fall weddings! The bride also e-mailed me this picture because I only have one without the flower topper and I think it really adds to the pic. Chocolate brown ribbon on the bottom of each tier really popped!

Royal Reserve!! What Canadian guy hasn't drank this stuff?! The birthday boy had no idea his wife ordered this cake for him...total surprise. She said he loved it and so did everyone else!


Every little boy loves Hot Wheels. I love how the fondant looked on this cake and I had extra batter so I made some matching mini cupcakes to go with it. Kids love cupcakes!

Another #3, this time the mom requested no fondant. I don't like this cake as much as the previous one...I think the fondant really made the cake stand out. I know the stop lights are out of order, I realized that later on after the picture was taken and after the cake was delivered. I'm sure the mom noticed, but she never mentioned anything.lol



Dora the Explorer! I am really enjoying making Dora cakes...keep them coming! Since Dora is filled with so many colors and there are so many different episodes, anything can be done with a Dora cake. The little girl's favorite colors were purple and green, so I worked around that. My first time using wires. I love the look!


November wedding. This couple ran away to a tropical island for there real wedding and this was the cake for the party they had when they returned. Nikki was a grade lower than me in school, but we've known eachother since we were in elementary. She was my neighbour for years until we moved to town and then we figure skated together until I was in grade 12. I was so happy Nikki asked me to make her cake. This cake was all cupcakes. She wanted something easy that guests could just grab. I have to say, the cake was a bit difficult to make. When I tried icing the top it kept sliding all over the board and I think could have looked better if I knew a better technique. I also wish I would have pushed for her to get some cupcake stands for the mini cupcakes as I think it would have made the display look a lot better. I learned from this that the way cupcakes are displayed really matters! Maybe only to me, but I will from now on push for couples to have stands! The cupcakes were chocolate, vanilla and carrot.

A 50th Anniversary Topper cake. I found it really hard with the gold, so this is what I came up with. Looking at it now, I think it would have looked better with a quilting technique on the sides of the cake. The things you learn as you go I guess. She provided her own cupcakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment