Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Weekend!

It was so beautiful outside this past weekend.  With +30 Celsius weather and trips to the park, the kids and I loved it!  Ryan was up in Conklin working, so I was soloing the entire time.  On top of making a new flower bed, hauling dirt, playing with the kids, cleaning house, I had five cake orders!!  Today I am still exhausted, I just want to sleep for an extra few hours everyday, but Aidan's been waking up at 5:30-6:00am.  WHY???  I hope that changes, and quick!  Anyways here are the pictures from last weekend.


So this is my first wedding cake for 2010.  I absolutely love it!!  A few firsts on this.  I only did quilting once before on a birthday cake which didn't turn out, this turned out perfect.  I didn't get a chance to make it to the city, so I made my own quilting tool.  I used a piece of thick card stock cut to kinda resemble a ruler with a diagonal end, a tool to poke the points into the fondant and a roller tool.  It worked, which still amazes me, probably took much longer than it should have, but I did what needed to be done!  I also made the calla lilies for the first time.  They actually weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.  Again, didn't have the right tools, so I made my own cones from printer paper and didn't have a ball roller, so I used a rounded lid. 
"Thank you so much for the beautiful cake Andrea. I absolutely loved it and it tasted great too. Thanks."
Well, one out of nine wedding cakes done.  Super excited for the next one coming up in June!!  Stay tuned!



My neighbour wanted her little guy's favorite teddy bear, I mean stuffed donkey to be replicated out of cake.  This was a challenge for me.  At first I didn't even know where to start.  I was so exhausted the night before, I woke up in the morning and made this before the party.  I think he turned out pretty cute!
"Thanks Andrea! You did an amazing job on the cake. When Wyatt saw it, he smiled and said "donkey" so thanks again! The cupcakes were delicious! :)"




A few of 36 cupcakes I made for triplets.  E, A and C are the first letter of their names.  I got the idea for the three cupcakes out of the Hello Cupcake book. 
"The cupcakes were awesome. Can't wait for the cake. "


I'm not really sure what kind of cake this was, the little girl's mom came to me with a a picture of the cake she wanted, but only wanted a one layer cake.  I changed it up a bit and made the mask, fan, bow, #5, name flower and hangy things out of gumpaste.  I've really enjoyed working with gumpaste, it's alot of fun and I can do alot more with it than fondant.  Anyways, back to the cake...  She also told her mom she wanted diamonds on the cupcakes.  I came by these diamond rings at a dollar store, I could only get 16 though, so I changed up the other cupcakes a bit.  I think the rings look pretty cute on the cupcakes.


Horse cake.  Not my design, I saw a picture on google somewheres'.  My daughter loved this cake, she has become very fond of horses, maybe I'll have to make her one next January.

And here are some pics of the kids enjoying the nice weather. 

Yummy Watermelon!
Alyvia, Aidan and cousin, Teila on the tire swing.
Alyvia checking out her butterflies she caught.
Austin and Alyvia looking for butterflies.
Aidan and Austin on the top of monkey bars.  Yes, my little 2 year old can climb anything!!

2 comments: