Saturday, May 8, 2010

Create!!!

So today was a great day!  Back in March I took a scrapbook class and found out I really want to expand my creativity!  My sister and I went together and had so much fun, that when another class came up, we jumped at the chance to go.  Not only do I get a day break from life, I get to use my brain to create beautiful pages in a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere.   Rebecca is so amazing and creative and taught us how to make a mini coil album.  I can't stop looking at mine, I LOVE it!!  I am so impressed that I actually made it and didn't copy exactly what she did.  The first class, I was quite the copy cat, but now I feel I can branch out and try something on my own.  I can't wait for the next class!

Before all the fun I had today, I was busy for three days baking and decorating.  I was only suppose to have one order this week and then a few last minutes came, which I didn't mind. 

The first was for my cousin's father in law. It's not a super 'WOW' cake, just something I was able to get together quickly before they came (I only had one day notice).  Again terrible picture quality, like I said, last minute.  He was fun to create though. 
"Hey Andrea! Just wanted to let you know that everyone loved the cake, it was awesome!!! Thanks again!!"


The BIG, FAT, Calico Cat!!  I love this cake!  My calico didn't do as it was suppose to.  Originally it was suppose to be a white with grey, black and brown mix, then when I added the black, it turned purple!  This isn't Alice in Wonderland!  So I just mixed in a few more colors, ended up with grey and then attempted to see what would happen when I put the white, black and brown.  It was all the fondant I had left, so I was glad it turned out alright.  Marbling is a bit harder than I had anticipated.  He was really fun to make and the customer absolutely loved it when she picked it up the next morning!!



The lady who ordered this cake has a mother who loves Cardinals.  She asked me if I could create a 3D bird, I think I hesitated before I answered.  This could be a toughy!!  She told me every year her and her sister compete to see who can get the best cardinal gift for their mom.  She said a cardinal cake could never be beat.  I was honored to make this!  It took a bit of planning and figuring out how to stack the cake and shape the cake into a bird figure. Then came the decorating and making of the feathers.  I will admit, this was a challenge, but I am pretty pleased with the end result.  The pictures are terrible, but this cake really needs to be seen in person.  I was able to try a new technique out, which I always love. I painted the fondant on this cake.  The 8" bottom was originally supposed to be white, but I kept dropping red paint on it, so I made it brown. 

"LOL won the competion hands down with the cake...it was awesome, my mom didn't want to eat it....but we convinced her!! The cake also tasted awesome!! Thanx Andrea! "

Stay tuned, next week another busy one.  A birthday cake, birthday cupcakes and  a tiered wedding cake!!!  Wedding Season is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment